Friday, May 13, 2011

*That's Life!*

I'm sitting in my old dorm room with a flood of thoughts filling my mind. It's a place that brings back so many memories that stay locked here until I return. It's a world that disappears when I go home to my family...a world that sometimes feels like it was only a dream. It's funny how memories work like that sometimes.

My mind has been full of memories lately because of this monumental time in my life. I'm sure you all know about this because I can't stop talking about it! I think we wait and wait and wait and never celebrate what we've waited for when it finally gets here. That's why I have been talking about it...I won't upset myself by not being happy about something I've wanted for a long time. I believe in celebrating and not just waiting around for things...I like to celebrate what's already HERE.

I don't know about you, but I always picture the monumental moments in my life and they never end up the way I imagine. There is always that little snag in the situation that reminds me this isn't heaven and things won't always go as planned. For instance....it's the night before my graduation and I have MAJOR shin splints! Like, very painful, every step is a job well done type of thing. When I imagined this day, I did not dream that I would be in pain from shin splints and half my face sunburned from practice. But the thing is...that's the way life is. I decided to sprint up a large hill two days before graduation and I'm paying the price! Once again, the quest to do something to stay in shape has bit me right in the behind!!! Either way, I'll do it again, because that's life, too.

Not only do I have shin splints, but I also had a terrifying experience at the county jail and figured out that I had lost my drivers license in front of the po. I was at the county jail because my licensure was having a rough time coming through and the big long saga continues. I had to run to the revenue office and pay for a new drivers license and I'm still really confused where mine is. But here's the deal....all of this could really annoy me, or I could just roll with the punches and stay happy regardless. I decided not to get frustrated about any of it and it was a very freeing experience. I have a realistic view on life that makes these little things not surprising to me at all.

Some girls sit around and day dream about their future love story or kids in their spare time. I do that sometimes I will admit, but there's always little snags involved. I imagine my wedding day and I've got this enormous wedgie that I can't do anything about because the congregation is watching the most romantic moment of my life! You know why I dream like that? Because THAT'S LIFE! Find one bride who isn't super stressed about her wedding and I'll find you three flying pigs! I mean, Molly got her wedding dress run over by a car and you wouldn't know that from the pictures! Pictures are so misleading sometimes. You find that smiling mother with her new baby in a photo looking like life is perfect and ask her if she put her hand on her belly with a pleasant smile for nine months strait! I will bet you all the money in the world that's not how it went. Why we all pretend like life doesn't have it's snags is beyond me. Just wait till I get married and have kids you will hear the TRUTH. You'll feel so much better about your life and realize you're quite normal.

The truth is...I am going to graduate with the worst shin splints of my entire life in heels that take the skin off my little pinky toe with my license hanging in the balance over finger prints. But you know what? That's okay! Because it's my graduation day and if it comes with excruciating pain, then so be it. I'm happy and it's going to be a great day, snags and all. My fingerprints may not go through again and I might be stuck at the creepy jail with no handsanitizer for days, but I won't sweat it! Cause that's life here on earth and we better make friends with it. Our perfection and deepest desires will be fulfilled in eternity, and that to me is enough to be joyful in anything that life here brings.







No comments:

Post a Comment