Tuesday, May 3, 2011

*Fatal Distractions*

Distraction: Anything or anyone that pulls you away from your God-ordained purpose

First of all I want you to know that this might be pretty important because I really felt some spiritual warefare whenever I got online to write about this. There's something that's come to my attention lately that I haven't thought about and I really want to share it with you!

As most of you know, we are in a CONSTANT battle with the enemy and if we are not aware of that, it can cause many problems. It's not really the popular thing to speak about the unseen war, but it's crucial so I'm going to! One of my spiritual gifts is being a warrior in the unseen battle and I have a major sensitivity to it. It can creep people out when I talk about it, but please still read because it's IMPORTANT. It's not healthy for the battle against darkness to be the MAIN focus, but we also have to use our weapons against it or we will be attacked and sometimes not even know it. It's important to find a balance and not obsess over it, but forgetting about it can be fatal. Usually the most crippling attacks are the ones that are so subtle that we may not even know they are from the enemy.

There's a book that I felt like the Lord wanted me to get the other day called "Fatal Distractions" and I'm so thankful that I did. The Lord has a plan for all of us that is far greater than we can imagine and that will bring glory to His kingdom. The enemy doesn't want it to happen and throws fatal distractions through lies that sink deep into our hearts to try and distract us. The sad thing is most of us believe these as true and don't even realize that it's the enemy trying to sabotage us inside so we aren't as effective for the Kingdom.

I'm going to make myself pretty vulnerable here and give you some examples of the lies that have been put into my head. Looking at it now with a clear view they seem completely insane. But the fact is I have entertained some of these thoughts before. Even though it feels funny to admit these because it's seriously the filthiest part of my thought process, it's completely worth it to me if I can help even one person...

--Here are some examples of the fatal distractions and some of the lies that may come with them: Have you ever?-

*Had envy or jealousy ? "If only you were skinny like her, then you could be loved." "Of course he chose her over you! She's way less dramatic and look at those legs!" "Everything comes easier for her. Why is your life so much harder?"

*Felt completely alone? "Nobody really cares about you." "You're going to be stuck alone for the rest of your life." "If you try to get close to people, they will run when they get to know you."

*Been so angry at someone that you can't get it off your mind? "Can you believe he cheated on you and got away with it? He's even a ministry major, nobody in the ministry can ever keep their lips to themselves." "You deserve to get revenge." "You are allowed to be angry and hate that person…look what they did. Poor you."

*Become bitter because a situation didn't turn out the way you planned? "You will always be the spinster watching everyone else get married. Save up your money…there are lots of gifts to be bought for OTHER people." "Wow…look at your track record for bad situations. Anticipate disappointment in life!" "God wants you to have a bad life because it will make your ministry better. Go ahead and put your hands out for the chains."

*Felt hurt and broken? "Remember that he said you needed a talent or nobody would like you? Let's think about that everyday cause he was RIGHT." "You don't have what it takes and you never will no matter how hard you try."

*Been afraid? "A tornado is going to burst into your room at any moment!" "Enjoy today, because someone you love is going to die and it may be soon." "What's that noise?! I bet it's a killer coming to snatch you up! Freak out about it! COME ON!"

*Let rejection leave you feeling crippled? "They don't want anything to do with you and are smart because of it." "You will never be enough to impress them."

I know that I have felt every single one of those things at one time or another and I am 100% sure that part of the reason I felt that way is because of lies put in my head by the enemy. Some people might even be shocked that I've ever thought those things and they do feel very silly now. I have a sneaky suspicion that everyone else might have some things they've thought that would be embarrassing to put on paper. But when we believe them in the isolation of our own minds, they aren't silly at all. They are truly fatal to us and can distract us from growing in Christ and doing what He's called us to do.

Those crazy lies that we believe can get us into some MAJOR trouble. Isn't that how he got Eve to sin for the first time anyway? He whispers lies that we take for truth even if they are completely insane. When you hear something in your mind that hurts deeply, ask yourself if it might be the enemy trying to distract you. These things may have crippled us in the past, but they don't have to anymore!

Let's stop entertaining lies in our minds that just make us miserable. Following the Lord will never be easy because attacks will certainly come, but let's at least be ready for them. Our God is greater and stronger and much more powerful than anything we have against us. Praise Jesus for His constant power and that He fights on our behalf!!! We are valuable, we are loved, God has a wonderful plan, we have so much to be thankful for, we are NEVER alone, we are beautiful, we are treasured, we do have what it takes because of the power of Jesus Christ inside us! :) We are more than over comers!!!!!!!






1 comment:

  1. I love reading your blogs, Abby! Thank you for speaking truth!

    ReplyDelete