Saturday, May 7, 2011

*Memories, Messes, and Mom*

I remember the butterflies churning in my stomach as I woke up on this particular Christmas morning. I can't recall the exact year but I think I was around second or third grade. The anticipation had been rising for a couple of weeks because my mom would put more presents under the tree each day. By the time Christmas came, the room was overflowing with gifts and we were full of excitement.

I woke up at 4am and ran into my parents room because I wanted to start Christmas so badly! My love language is gifts, so you can only imagine all the joy that was going on inside of me knowing I had presents ahead. Mom and dad told me to wait until 5am and try to sleep till then, so I went and sat in my bed wide awake for an hour.

Once we finally got downstairs, it almost felt like magic! There were three new bikes and a wagon. Each of my other sibling got a new bike and the wagon was for me. I wasn't very good at riding a bike and I'd much rather have people tote me around and my mom totally knew that. I was way too old to be dragged around, but mom did it anyway. As everyone else tried out their new bikes, I was having a ball in the wagon. (I have yet to enjoy a bike ride…I know HOW but it's always rather unpleasant actually. I know it's cool to ride a bike, but I'm not vogue enough to sit on those abrasive seats!)

Mom always had a way of making days like that so special. I remember one year Molly got crutches because she wanted them so bad. I'm still not sure how she got those, but I'm sure it was a big hassle. Mom really goes above and beyond every single day as a mother and I want to be just like her someday! She literally loves me through thick and thin…even when I was a tubby fifth grader in a pooh shirt, she totally thought I was the cutest thing ever. I still can't convince her that I was super awkward!

This week I have been a total pain in the rear because i'm totally stressed from school. After hard days, I usually just go in my room and crash and am not the most fun person to be around. All day long I am the most smiley, positive person I can be but when I get home I just fall into bed dramatically. My second rotation has really taken it's tole on me and I find myself useless by the time I get home. On top of that, I've made a huge mess of papers, glue sticks, markers, binders, tabs, and so much more all over the floor trying to get my life together! She has totally put up with the mess even though I know it drives her insane! She is borderline OCD so that is true love for sure. She has said some off handed comments but at least she doesn't try to make me clean it up. I need to have a mess right now to get all my stuff in order to graduate and so I REALLY appreciate it. (I hope she reads that, haha)

I can't go into detail about how great my mom is or even begin to touch on how wonderful she is because no writing could be enough. I mean, I wouldn't be who I am today without my mother! She taught me to love children and helped me realize my desire to be a teacher. Even though I didn't learn to read until second grade, my homeschool days are some of my fondest memories!!! I know I can use a lot of the things she's taught me in my classroom and future. Not necessarily strategies on teaching reading, but I have a lot of loving strategies to use, haha! When I become a mom someday, I want to be just like her!!! (Only difference is, I won't make up my bed everyday…I still wonder why people do that just to get back in it?)

I know Molly is going to be a wonderful mother this summer when Samuel is born and a lot of that comes from my mom. I can't wait to do some of the fun stuff from my childhood with my future babies and I hope that I can make them feel as loved as my mom makes me feel. No matter how stressed or grumpy I am at the end of a long workday, mom still greets me with a big smile. When my life is taking care of children all day long, it's nice to have someone take care of me when I get home.

I am so thankful the Lord gave me to her because it was such a good soil to grow up in! She and my dad love Jesus and have instilled those beliefs and values into their children. I am so proud to come from such a Godly legacy and I will work hard to be the same in order to keep it going for generations! I want our family to bring glory to God all of our lives and my mom has really shown me how. What a blessing I was given on the day I was born! :)

1 comment:

  1. what a precious story - i love your mom, christmas, and you!

    ReplyDelete