Thursday, July 1, 2010

*Worth it*

There's this little boy that I bonded with in particular that left today to go to Aspen for the rest of the summer. When he was giving me a final hug, I really had to try hard not to show how sad it made me that he was leaving. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't feeling kinda sad now. I can't believe just how easily some of these kids can get into my heart. It makes me feel pretty vulnerable.

I remember the moment I realized him and I were truly friends. We were riding on the bus back from the museum and a drop of water from the condensation above landed on my face. He told me a few minutes earlier that it was going to fall on me, and I argued that it wouldn't. Then it fell down, and his eyes immediately caught mine with a sparkle that said "I told you so". At that point, we both started laughing and laughing until we couldn't stop, and when we finally caught our breath, he grabbed my arm and used it to hide his tickled face. Then we both made eye contact and crinkled our noses at the same time as if on cue. From then on we were pretty much buds. No going back from there.

As I watched him walk out the door for the last time today, it made me start thinking. Love has some downsides to it, and the feeling I got when he left is definitely one of those i'm speaking of. But, even though there is some hurt and vulnerability and sometimes loss, it's worth it. And I figure being a teacher, I'll have to get used to the fact that I'll be watching kids who grab my heart leave every year. It will hurt, and I will cry, but it won't stop me from loving again. It won't stop me from working hard and being really tired every night just for those few priceless moments.

I don't have the time to write about it right now, but there's a story about a boy named Miguel that I may write another time. When we had to separate it took a big toll on me, and most people who know me pretty well have heard of little Miguel. He was one of my students when I was at my other college. I cried to my mom about how much I missed him and how I wished I could keep up with him. She just told me that I should pray for him so maybe he will become a believer and we can play together again. I know that sounds really mooshy and hallmarkish, but it made me feel better none-the-less. I am a girl…we need our hallmark thoughts, okay?!

I'm definitely gonna add this new little boy to my prayer list. That's the cool thing about praying for people. It makes me feel connected to them even when we are apart. Even when they have no idea.

Well…time for me to go to bed. Cause I may be missing him and a little sad…but the fact of the matter is,people come and go, but life moves forward anyway. And that means I need my rest for another long day tomorrow. A day filled with kids that I still have time with, and that's what I'm going to focus on now.

No comments:

Post a Comment