Sunday, July 25, 2010

*Kamp Letters-Oh, the horror*

My parents have never said that I am the black sheep of the family, but I have questioned that at times. I guess it's because I've been the reason for more advil than any of the other kids, and I think you'll get a better idea of what I mean in a minute. Again…mom and dad would never say that….feel free to decide for yourself which child caused the most grief after you read this. *Disclaimer* (I know many people love Kanakuk, so don't be offended by what I say. It's only my opinion and does not reflect the camp as a whole. It only reflects the camp in my world, and this blog is a glimpse into my world as the words at the top explain.)

When I was 15 years old I went to Kanakuk and had the most horrific 2 weeks of my life. To let my parents know about my dire circumstances, I wrote them this letter::

Hey Mom and Dad!
How are you? Let me just say I am NEVER coming here again. It's the worst. I cry myself to sleep every night. My counselor is such a dud. I've never seen her smile once and she is ALL about the rules. Our other two counselors are nice, but they have no idea what's going on. I don't have many friends. No one in our cabin is talkative what-so-ever! I have never been so bug bitten in my life! Our cabins are infested with chiggers. I have living things on my body itching and all in my bed!!! I'd rather be in jail than here right now. At least the inmates have air conditioning and water. Will you come pick me up now?!?!?! Katelind hates it so much, she's losing weight fast and can't help it! We exercise ALL THE TIME!!!! Mom, Dad…I'm dying here. NEVER AGAIN. You can't pay me to come back! I miss ya'll so much! I have to go back to hell, frankly. GOOD-BYE! Be thankful you aren't here!!! Oh, how the days DRAAAG. AHHH!!! -Abby
P.S. Pray for me A LOT! LIKE A LOT!!!! I am contemplating cutting off my leg!!!!!!


Now here is a letter my little brother sent from the SAME kamp:


Hey Mom and dad,
I am having a blast at kamp. I am not in a cabin with anyone I know, but I am making some great friends. I went on the huge slide today and it was so much fun. I was sitting here thinking how I am blessed with such good parents. I love ya'll so much. I miss ya'll, but I am not homesick. I love you and I'll see you in two weeks! -Pug
P.S. My counselors are great and I am in good hands so don't worry!


I mean….there is a stark difference in the stress level of these children I would say. I realize that I might have been a LITTLE dramatic, but I needed to get a point across. My mom was very angry at me when she picked me up because she said it made her worry too much and there was nothing she could do. Apparently it was cruel to send that letter home, but I was just sending out an SOS. Ask Katelind…she had to make it through those two weeks with me. We will never forget how much they made us run up a huge hill in the sun with only bad tasting water awaiting us. It should be called fat camp if you ask me!!! Many people swear by Kanakuk, which is great for them. But if you have no athletic abilities or talent and hate the outdoors…a sports camp is not for you. Just sayin.

Which child would you get more stress from????? Mom and dad can claim there is no blacksheep in the family, but that doesn't fool me! Just kidding... I really don't think there is a blacksheep, but you definitely can't get any better than my brother on the writing home thing. But in my defense, he is athletic and everyone loves him and he excels at whatever he does. One of my students asked me what I was good at the other day and I said "Well, I don't really know." Then he went through a list: "Basketball?" no "Softball?" no "Grades?" no "Singing?" no "Math?" no "Driving?" no "Cooking?" no….."Eating?" Yes. Then my student said very sweetly: "Well, there ya go! You ARE good at something….eating!"

Oh, my life.

5 comments:

  1. Abby, you made my day with this post because I can definitely feel your pain. ANd honestly, you're not a black sheep at all! If you want a great example of a black sheep, just look at me. Oh, the other night, when I was watching America's Got Talent, I tried for over thirty minutes to think of a talent I have. Eating or making food to eat was all I could come up with!! Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHAHAHA Abby I love it when you write. Molly said she was contemplating jumping off the roof of the cabin!
    - Logan

    ReplyDelete
  3. funniest. post. ever. love, noel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. abby!!! you were 100% COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY justified in sending that letter home- not to worry your mom- but to just send out that dire SOS for survival!!!! I WAS THERE- I WILL VOUCH FOR YOU, WORST TWO WEEKS OF MY LIFE EVER!!!!! IT WAS AWFUL!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! Sorry to laugh, but you articulate your suffering with such humor!!
    I probably wouldn't have written that letter as a child, but.. NO A/C ?? -- I would definitely write that letter NOW! Ha! Awesome post.

    ReplyDelete