Tuesday, January 19, 2010

*Safe Hugging and Health!!!*

I am by no means a touchy feely person and I seriously go days and weeks at a time without a single hug. Ever since I was little hugs have not been that enjoyable to me. There is one home video where I'm two years old and I have a playmate over and she tries to hug me and I start screaming like I've been shot in the foot! Of course, my mom spanked me enough that I had to stop doing that, but my natural response is to scream bloody murder. Even now as I was beginning to write this, Katelind came in and gave me a hug from behind and I screamed just like I used to when I was a baby. It was a natural scream from the depths, I didn't even have to try. I just don't enjoy my bubble being entered! Especially from behind or without my permission!!!! Talk about SCARY! The only hugs that I partake in are ones that are started by someone else and sometimes I find a way to dodge that situation as well. Hugging has so many opportunities to become awkward if you ask me. If you don't have chemistry with someone, even girls, the hug is going to take a turn for the worst. Like when your cheeks end up touching because both the heads go the same way, or when the shoulders hit at the exact same height and the hugging is all wrong. Somebody needs to have their shoulders higher or the awkward moment is going to be substantial. I also got a hug from a boy that had really bad B.O. and my shoulder smelled disgusting for the rest of the day. I poured anti-bacterial all over my shoulder, but it didn't even make a dent in the situation! I don't do bad smells. I don't do awkward moments well, either. Hence, why I never hug. I am also not made that way so it's not at the for front of my mind. When I'm dating someone I think to hug, because it's natural to me, but with everyone else it's like a horror filled moment waiting to be had. So as a single girl my hugging life is next to zero. I think of all the things that could go wrong and that's why I avoid hugging altogether. I've never thought twice about it before until now.

A boy came up to me in the library today and said plainly "Can I please have a hug?". My stomach kind of dropped a little…oh no….I hope this doesn't go bad. It didn't go bad, it was fine, but he took a deep breath and told me to do the same. He said it was theraputic and would keep the mental health going strong. BALONEY was all I thought. NO WAY. But I got back to the room and did a little research and so many doctors says that he is right! Apparently hugging is very healthy and people who are hugged on a regular basis are twice as less likely to have mental health issues. Not only that, it lowers blood pressure and stress! Who knew?! Not me! I never think about it! There was also a study on holding hands and stress and it showed that people who hold hands are much less stressed than people who don't! But apparently holding hands with a stranger does not help, it has to be someone you love. So Katelind's hand will hopefully be at my disposal on a daily basis. And Macy has the best hugs in the entire world, so I'll have to swing by her room daily. It's not like if you go out and hug a random person you will stay sane. This hug must come from someone you really care about. And that kind of hugging does worlds of good to a person! If there's any opportunity I find to stay sane, I'm going to do it! Even if it means going against my natural tendency to stay far away from other people. Because staying sane is pretty important I would say. I am super stressed all the time, and I NEVER hug, so maybe that's my problem!!!!!! But I'm definitely not going to go hug joe blow off the street, because my hugs are special and the germ factor also comes in. When you are closer to someone the germs don't seem to matter as much. It's like a miracle. Love…love even makes bad smells smell good…if that isn't a miracle, I don't know what is!!!!!

Anyway, I just want to make sure that all my friends out there go and get a hug today. Preferably not from a creeper, because they may get a little too much happy from it. Make sure it's not a sicko and someone that you care about. Let's keep it PG here, people. We aren't free for alls. But we ARE healthy!!!! So let's do the healthy thing and hug a pal!!!!! And if the hug goes bad, take note, and hug somebody else next time! Or try it again, maybe it was a mishug and you really can have amazing hugs but that moment was just an epic fail! Don't be like me!!!! HUG HUG HUG!!!!! I've hugged today and I'm feeling GREAT! I hugged Macy all the way across campus!!! The worlds best hugger! No wonder I'm feeling good!!!! HUG!!!! HUGGING is the secret to success!!!!! But there are definitely some rules to follow to be safe!

RULES FOR SAFE HUGGING:

1.) Ask permission before hugging
2.)A hug is a gentle embrace, not a Heimlich Maneuver
3.) Be "in" the hug, don't just simply go through the motion
4.)Don't hug a creeper….enough said there
5.)Don't hug tons of boys (A classy lady is an attractive lady)
6.)Take tons of showers and add lotion and perfume and brush your teeth many times a day to make hugs enjoyable and not a nightmare
8.) HAPPY HUGGING!!!!!

"It's wondrous what a hug can do.
A hug can cheer you when you're blue.
A hug can say, "I love you so"
Or " Gee, I hate to see you go!"
A hug is "Welcome back again!"
And "Great to see you!"
Or "Where've you been?"
A hug can soothe a small child's pain
and bring a rainbow after rain.
The hug there's just no doubt about it,
we scarcely could survive without it.
A hug delights and warms and charms,
It must be why God gave us arms!"

1 comment: