Tuesday, June 7, 2011

*The Computer Guy*

I've worked at the same school in the summer for many years now, so I've started to make long term relationships with many of the students. Unfortunately, kids have a great memory and they won't let you live anything down.

Today I went into the 5th and 6th grade room to watch the students for a little bit . One of my former kids immediately walked up to me and started batting his eyelashes and pretending to swish his hair around. "Have you seen the computer guy, Miss Abby?!" he said in the most drawn out tone possible. I couldn't believe my ears. This boy was bringing up something from TWO YEARS AGO.

The school was getting smart boards and new computers that summer, so there was a guy who would come in sometimes to install. He was about four years older than me and we are both writers so we had a lot to talk about. Each time he came in, I did the nice thing and went over to talk to him for about 8 minutes or so. I was only doing the polite thing by making him feel welcome. (And ya, he was cute which didn't hurt things). Anyway, I didn't think I was acting funny or anything but apparently I am ridiculous. Nothing like a child to reveal how obnoxious you are, right?

EVERYTIME he left the little boys would run up beside me and do an impression of how I acted. They all giggled way more than they should and played with their invisible flowing hair. "Oh, computer guy...you are just SOOOOOO cute" they would say mocking me. "Come on, guys! I was just being friendly!" "I'd say! You laughed at EVERYTHING he said and he wasn't even funny! If your smile was any bigger it would of blown right out of your face!!!"

haha...out of the mouths of babes, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment