Friday, July 29, 2011

*The 8th Grade 'Word'*

Picture this: May 2002 at the country club for my 8th grade graduation ceremony. Everyone is dressed up in their finest cocktail attire and waiting to see what special word will be chosen for them this year. The teachers follow tradition by picking out one word that describes each student to honor them as they come and pick up their certificate. It's always a very special occasion and people remember their word forever. It signifies something very particular about the student that the teachers saw and want the world to know about.

The students started getting called up one by one being showered with honorable words that would make any parent proud. "Respectful" "Servant" "Jovial" "Caring" "Intelligent" "Athletic" "Charismatic" "Successful" "Lovable"…the list goes on and on. Every student before me got words that were so positive and made them feel like a million bucks! I couldn't WAIT for my turn….nothing like being publicly shown off, right? I just KNEW I was going to get a word that would blow everyone away! I'd been waiting to see what they'd choose for weeks.

Finally, they got to my name and the butterflies rose up in my stomach. I smiled as wide as I could as I walked up to my teachers who were waiting for me at the stage. I looked over the crowd ready for them all to be completely taken aback at how wonderful my word was going to be. The teacher then took the microphone and slowly said: "Abby's word is…." THIS IS IT, THIS IS IT!!! "…..sensitive."

SENSITIVE?!?! Excuse me?! Did I just hear you correctly?!?! I was NOT pleased and my face showed it. Me?! Sensitive?!?! How RUDE!!! "I am NOT sensitive!" I said to my friend as I tried to wipe the tears streaming down my face afterwards. " 'Hilarious' 'Witty' 'Charming' 'Sweetheart' 'Favorite'…THOSE were the words they were supposed to bring out!!!! But SENSITIVE?! REALLLLY?!?!" Let's just say I cried for a very long time about the whole thing.

But I mean, what girl doesn't cry a lot when they are 13 years old? It's 8th grade for heaven's sake! You are still deep in the jungles of Jr. High!!!!! I felt like I had been pretty strong and not had drama moments when I could have. If only they knew how much emotion I was keeping in! How come everyone else got a lovely word and I was stuck with SENSITIVE?! I still haven't completely forgiven my 8th grade teachers and I really liked them before that.

Fast forward to today that holds a MUCH better memory than my 8th grade debacle. Luckily, I had a moment that over rules that horrific day I try to forget. At a bridesmaid luncheon this afternoon, the bride gave us all stationary with a sentence that describes us on it. I finally got something that I really loved and want to embrace for the first time! Mine said: "She turned her can't into cans and her dreams into plans". It meant so much because she doesn't even know how many times in the past five years that I literally thought I'd NEVER make it to where I am. I hope at the end of my life this quote is still something someone would choose to describe me with. I serve a God who can do the impossible, so luckily it's a definite possibility. I'm so thankful for that moment…what an encouragement…what an honor to be seen that way by someone I care so much about.

If only my 8th grade teachers were there to see it.


2 comments:

  1. i LOVED her line for you; so precious and meaningful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby! What a fun quote! I love that. :) Thanks for being such a supportive blog reader. It keeps me writing!

    ReplyDelete