Tuesday, February 15, 2011

*Friendship, Forgiveness, Loyalty, and Love*

Right now I smell like burnt popcorn and so does the whole house. Apparently the 100 calorie packs of popcorn do NOT need to go in the microwave as long as a regular bag. I actually like burnt popcorn more, but the smell isn't really worth it. I made popcorn because I needed it for the tail end of my movie. By the way, I'm about to give a few of my thoughts that might air on the side of nerdy, so beware.

I just spent the past three days of my life watching all of the Lord of the Rings in the extended version. I do this about every three years or so, and I'm always effected by it. It's a hard movie to watch, but it's so worth it in the end. The themes of friendship and loyalty are so powerful to me every time.

Companionship and loyalty are two of the greatest treasures on this earth if you ask me. I am a really loyal person and I could relate to the way the characters felt about each other. Just like the main characters, I have a few best friends that I live life with and would do anything for. The main characters didn't have a million best friends, but they stayed true to each other in a tight nit group, just like a family. We aren't made to do life alone but I don't think we are meant to do life with everyone either. To me, to be really loyal it has to be zoned in somewhat. Having the Lord send me a few people to have true relationship with has been one of the greatest blessings in my life. I may not have a ton of friends, but I have a few that are true treasures just like the characters in the movie.

The best part about the friendships in Lord of the Rings is that they are FULL of forgiveness. Pippin messes up so many times, but his friends forgive him every time. Frodo completely turns on Sam near the end, but Sam goes right back to fight for Frodo. Forgiveness without remembrance of a wrong keeps these friends close together. Forgiveness is an aspect of relationships that is essential. Without it, true loyalty and long lasting relationships are not possible. We WILL get hurt and we WILL hurt others. Unfortunately, that's just the way it is. But forgiveness is the shining hope that creates a beautiful relationship between two human beings that couldn't exist without it.

I also love the fact that Arwen stays for Aragorn even though she knows a life of death and hardship will come afterwards. I believe that love for a time is better than no love at all. Arwin knew that love was worth any sorrow to come. She made herself vulnerable because she knew how valuable her relationship with Aragorn was. Life with hardships but having love and relationships was worth more to her than a perfect life alone. I love that.

I could go on and on about the themes that I love about it, but I have to go to sleep. I've been staying up too late watching these movies and I've definitely paid for it at work.

Goodbye for now LOTR, see ya in three years.


No comments:

Post a Comment