Sunday, August 8, 2010

*The Scandalous Burrito*

My cousin has been at Pom camp these past few days which has given me some flashbacks to my days at camp. It's basically a week where you push yourself to the limit and feel like a train ran over you by the end of the week. Staying up till 4am to practice was normal, just to get up at 7am to practice some more. We eat, sleep, and breathe dance. It almost feels like there's nothing else in the world for those few days. For the record, I got superior blue ribbons for every single dance I did at camp. I always talk about how I'm not talented, so I gotta throw that in there. I have talents, they just don't come in handy because they aren't practical. For example, I rule at Twister but how can I nonchalantly show somebody that?! I can pull my leg up to my face without stretching for years, but whose to know?! I'm a closet prodigy if you will.

At camp we also have team dances that we learn and are judged on by the end of the week. Our pom squad was super serious about winning, so they decided that we should just skip lunch and keep on practicing. You know…get a one up on the other squads while they ate. I hadn't slept in days because I stayed up practicing my dances and was super sore from "Cheer robes" which was a work-out we did every morning right after breakfast. I was very tired and the last thing I wanted to do was practice during lunch. I'm all about practicing and working hard, but there's a point when it just gets ridiculous! There's more to life than missing a burrito for some ribbon. I mean, a burrito gives so much more love back than a dinky little ribbon!!! That's how I saw it through my tired and hungry mindset anyway. Winning has never had much draw for me….all my blue ribbons are long gone by now, but I can still smell those burritos clear as day.

During the discussion about missing lunch I raised my tired hand and calmly explained that I really needed that burrito to make it through without punching someone out. Tired AND hungry is not a good combination! Besides…we were working out ALL THE TIME! The capatin was not happy with my suggestion to eat…NOT AT ALL. She saw it as I was not committed, but I saw it as a way to keep our sanity and not get committed.

The sponser was thinking logically and thought it was best if we were allowed to eat and gave us a choice: We could either go grab a delicious burrito or stay there and practice hungry and irritable. Some girls decided to stay but more girls decided to ban with me and get a burrito for themselves. We decided that the taste of the burrito would far outweigh any drama that would erupt from our decision. People have their rights, you know. After working out for hours and hour, lunch is the bare minimum right.

I lead my troops bravely to the lunch line and showed them where to sit. We ate and laughed at the situation until our sides hurt. With every bite we were partaking in the biggest scandal in Pom Camp history. We returned later to a disgruntled captain and few other hungry girls. "How was the burrito?!" they asked angrily "It was great! Best burrito I ever had." I said with a smile. Because well…you can smile when you aren't starving.

1 comment:

  1. priceless. kinda like our pool party last week. LOVE YOU ABBY! ooooh the days of uda camp...

    ReplyDelete