Monday, April 8, 2013

*The Moment of Truth…Cooking Edition*

Now that I am back on my feet and feeling pretty good again, I got this wave of energy to get back to working on my cooking and baking skills. I looked through pinterest to find exactly what I wanted to try and excitedly waited for today where my wonderful susie homemaking skills would be put to the test! I think I had more confidence in myself than I probably should have.

I have spent the last five hours of my life trying to bake/cook and it has been full of frustrations and failures. It took two hours in the grocery store because I have no idea where or what anything is.  Then I had to re due a cake gone absolutely wrong that was called: "The EASIEST dessert recipe ever". Then I had to run to the store again only to realize when I get back that I'm STILL missing one ingredient. Not to mention I FINALLY got something right but could not open the salsa jar to save my life. Soooo…figuring THAT out took another 15 minutes of pain and suffering when I thought I had about reached the end.

What should have taken me 20 minutes to prepare, ended up taking me many hours.

My kitchen is a wreck.

I did figure out how to make a cake and was so excited about it…until I put the icing on and the entire top layer of the cake PEELED off. What's up with that?! Do you HAVE to do the icing fresh out of the oven? I was ADD and forgot so by the time I came back it was already ruined. It still tastes good, though. Infact…I'm licking icing off a plate now trying to comfort myself.

After all that and having to sit down to take a breather and regroup...I found some deep burst of energy that kept me going. I tried one last time and FINALLY put together the Cowboy Dinner that I had been trying to do. It's kind of like Shepherd's Pie, but not exactly. I'm not sure of the difference in it, but it's meat, beans, cheese, onions, and corn underneath a cornbread topping. Sounds really good to me…I'm waiting for it to come out right now to see if I have had at least one success today. I'm really hoping so.

I am realizing that I need lots more time devoted to this because it's a serious thing of trial and error when you have NO history of cooking or baking at all. It takes three times longer than the recipe says when you take into account having to clean up all my messes and mistakes and going BACK to the grocery store to get things I botched up the first time. I won't have time to do all this when the baby comes, so I guess I need to do it now? That thought made me push through.

Hopefully this  concoction in the oven right now will work out. If I don't have something to keep me going other than this pre-made icing, I don't know if I'll find the strength to go on with this. But I know I need to….let's hope that I am amazing one day and look back on this and laugh. And maybe..just maybe tonight will be a success. It's about to be the moment of truth.




No comments:

Post a Comment