Sunday, April 14, 2013

*Thank you, Adulthood!*

There are some things in life that you can get away with as an adult that would have never gone well as a teenager. One of those moments happened to me this week and I was thanking my lucky stars that I have passed into adulthood. Growing up can be super scary, but I'd say it was A LOT scarier before I married Brian. Now he makes me feel safe and I am not panicking over trying to figure out my life. He does most of it for me and I am definitely okay with that. :) Even though being older comes with more responsibility, it also comes with less punishment at times….like this week for instance..

As most of you know we have recently moved into a brand new house. Everything is shiny and perfect and nothing has been tainted by people living life in it. It smells like fresh carpet and paint every time I open the door and it's an absolute wonderful feeling to be in such an amazing place. I reallllly wanted to keep it untarnished as long as possible, but knowing me…that couldn't happen for long.

I am loving our new garage because I FINALLY have a parking spot! At our last house, the car Brian is building and all it's parts had the number one spot. Now I feel happy and free because I get to open a garage door and actually drive in now that he has a huge shop to himself. Usually it wouldn't be very tight, but right now the crib and a few other things are still in the garage to be painted or moved. Because of this my driving has to be absolutely PERFECT to get my car out right. Too bad I've never been a perfect driver which should have been taken into account.

So, this is where my thankfulness for adulthood comes into play. The other day I drove into the garage and took a strong turn once I got in trying to avoid the crib. It was all fine and great and I totally forgot about it that night. Well, the next day I got into my car and confidently put it in reverse and put on the gas quickly only to hear a VERY strange "SCREEEECH" as my car started feeling like it was coming off the ground. Turns out, I had completely scraped the side of the garage and was stuck with one wheel off the ground. "OHHHHH no…." is all I could think, "That didn't sound good."

I moved forward and tried to reverse again hoping to be able to get out this time just to hear another "CRACK…SCREEECH….BANG" the moment I put on the gas.

Well, that didn't work.

So I tried to make a major turn to get my car away from the side but I just kept getting stuck for a while. Finally after a few good scratches and bangs, I made it out. I realized pretty quickly that the construction men across the street were watching the entire thing. "Hey, guys…just trying to back out of my garage…can be tricky, ya know!" I didn't really talk to them, but I'm sure they understood.

I was just happy to be out so I went on my merry way without looking at anything. Later that day after Brian got home I was getting ready for bed when I suddenly remembered what happened. "Hey, Brian!" I yelled from my room out to where he was watching tv, "I have to tell you something.."

"Oh no…" was his reply as he started laughing. He knew THAT wasn't good. "Well, I was backing out of the garage today and it was a bit tight and well…I kinda ran into the garage wall a few times and got stuck with one wheel off the ground."

He took it well. REALLY well…and that's when I was glad to be an adult. Cause…the garage is MINE…the car is mine…and everything is okay. I'm not in trouble! It's the greatest thing ever. My car unfortunately took a bigger hit than the garage wall though which is sad. But to me…the scrape across the side just looks like mud from far away. It's not too bad. That car has been faithful for almost ten years now and has heard many scrape sounds in it's day.

Only this time…it was okay and didn't come with a major consequence. Granted, Brian said we should never buy me a new car, but I'm okay with that. Because I know that I am not number one behind the wheel and it's not like I MEANT to scrape everything up. Old faithfuls are what I need and nothing more.

I think this little ole situation was a good reminder of one of the benefits of growing up. And a benefit of marrying Brian and someone that really likes you even though you accidentally without ever meaning to break in the new house.

Thank you, adulthood…thank you.


1 comment:

  1. amazing. but, like you say--adulthood has its advantages. it great to hear things are continuing to go well for your family.

    ReplyDelete