Tuesday, February 21, 2012

*Some Vitamins and Some Thoughts *

Today I got some vitamin gummies at the store because they were calling my name. The only problem is I could eat the entire bottle in one sitting because they are SO good. I remember as a kid I would try to get a hold of the Flintstone vitamins and hide under my bed and eat them. I remember a distinct time when Molly yelled: "MOM! Abby is eating the bottle of vitamins again!" I quickly ran to hide from what awaited me in my closet. I know all these people tell me what a great kid I was, but I remember doing things like that. They literally had to hide the vitamins from me. I've always been a muncher.

Earlier I got the chance to go back to my alma mater and speak to some freshman education majors on what I've learned during my first year of teaching. It was so strange going on campus on a regular school day and not being a part. It's kinda neat how whenever I drive through a place I used to know, it's almost like a movie of memories plays before me. I can see myself in my head living those old memories…like I'm watching a movie of my former self. It's amazing what all is stored up in my head that I access at random times.

As I was driving by those familiar red buildings, I saw myself the day that my backpack broke because it was too heavy. I saw myself dressed up and carrying a bag of glue sticks and a project. I saw myself panicking over what presentation I had to do next or which school I needed to be at. I saw my old roommate…the saving grace at the end of the day. Katie used to feed me and let me lay in her bed and watch her movies after a long day. She would even give me apple juices on particularly bad days. She was brought into my life at the exact right time and unfortunately taken out of my everyday life before I was ready.

My day as a college professor was really neat and it reminded me of how far I've come. We should celebrate everything we've accomplished more and stop trying to always get ahead and be happy with where we are. Teaching for adults also made me glad that first graders give a LOT more feedback than adults. Blank stares are not really my thing and my six year olds are always wanting to add to the conversation. Maybe a little too much so, but I'll take it. I love my babies. I need to remember how lucky I am everyday.

1 comment:

  1. yay!! im so glad it went great yesterday!!! ANND I'm also so glad your mom would hide the vitamins from you! Eating too many really can kill you! lol you would not believe the amount of kids that come in- having eaten a whole bottle of vitamins and had to have their stomachs pumped in the ICU! --apparently there are a whole lot of munchers!
    plus they taste great! grr .

    ReplyDelete