Saturday, November 6, 2010

*Middle School Moment*

I had a Jr. High flashback a few weeks ago due to some unfortunate circumstances. I thought once I made my way to the big wide world of College all of my horrifying moments were over, but my recent experience has made me realize that I was definitely wrong about that one.

First, let me give you a little background information on the situation. There is a honorary education club that about every other education major got asked to be in EXCEPT me. The reason I did not make the cut is because they take your OVERALL GPA and mine happens to be a 2.8 thanks to a few "mishaps" along the way. I think I should get a lot of recognition because I brought up my 1.8 from the unfortunate times at my old college to a 2.8! Do you know how hard that is?! I mean…all these other people just had good grades all along. I had to drudge my way up from the GPA pits for heavens sake! That is some major number climbing!!! Biology and College Algebra were considered my days of being mercilessly thrown into the quicksand of confusion with no chance of escape!!! How can a GPA reflect positively when you are just happy to get ANY of the problems right?! Just because I was made to take those dream killing classes does not mean that I shouldn't be able to be in the education club!

Having strait A's all your life is not the end all be all. It's a known fact that a main character in a novel is always supposed to be the one that changes through the story. My GPA represents a good leading role in a wonderfully famous novell! Always having good grades brings about NO story line. People like that have to be the background character because they always stay the same. I on the other hand have made a huge transition which is why my life and GPA can be the spotlight and focal point of a storyline. JUST SAYIN.

The Jr. High flashback came the night that everyone was meeting to have dessert with the dean for their first informational meeting about the club. I was doing a huge presentation for my night class and had to be there 15 minutes early which happened to be the same time that everyone was getting their dessert. Everyone started walking towards the invite only room and at least four people asked me: "Are you coming?" It was a terrible moment, because I have definitely made a smarter name for myself and not being invited ruined my new look. The worst part was when one girl who has ALWAYS had strait A's whispered loud enough for me to hear "Not all of us can make it." 'Well, YOU can't be the main character of a novel! Your GPA IS BORRRRRING!' I said to the hallway. Because well…me and the hallway were the only ones left, really.

I had to wait out in the hall while everyone else got icecream and cookies and fruit. I wasn't too upset about missing out on the fruit but the other stuff? Not cool! I give up my life to do well in my education classes, but missed out on the dessert and lost my smart reputation anyway! Everybody came into class with their plates full of dessert and I had a to give a 200 point presentation on ESL students while they ate. I would be lying if I said I didn't shed a tear or two, but I still got a 95% on my presentation even with a heavy heart and red face. THAT is talent if you ask me!!! Life is not about recognition, though….but I don't think life is about being left out alone in the hall, either. Did I mention I didn't even read until 2nd grade and I had a C in math for the first time in 4th grade. I defy odds with the great grades I'm getting now. Why isn't that taken into account?!

The Dean of Education came and had a personal talk with me about how she was sad that she couldn't change the rules and let me into the club. She was really sweet and said that I had something that lots of people don't have which is a bubbly personality and interpersonal skills. She said that's one of the most important things about being a teacher which made me feel good. The years of personality development that I've spoken about before have really paid off. :) But unfortunately those days could not save me from reliving my middle school feelings again in a college hallway. But don't worry…I'm completely over it and just laughing about it now. That's the best thing you can do in situations like that. Learning to laugh at the rough times in life is the best way to make it through if you ask me.

2 comments:

  1. Well done! You should be proud of yourself for going ahead with the presentation and getting through that rather awkward moment. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just created a Higher Learning Education Club... like this very second... and YOU, yes YOU are invited. AND I'm nominating you for HLEC President. So there.

    Apart from the sad and frustrating realties of your story, you are hilarious. Your stories are fun to read AND always say something about being human -- a great combo.
    I think you should consider writing a book filled with all of these wonderful stories. Most people can relate to them. And all you have to do is live life to get sequel material. :)

    ReplyDelete