Friday, November 12, 2010

*WARNING: This may offend you*

The title of this post is very true...it may be offensive,so read at your own risk. What I'm about to talk about is quite controversial, but it must be said. (I was also wondering if people would click on my post BECAUSE I said it was offensive...just a little human experiment while I'm at it.)

There is an epidemic that has hit many young males at our beloved school that I like to call the "I'm Awesome" syndrome. It has become OUT OF CONTROL in the biggest way! Their egos have been fed for quite sometime, and it has brought about some shocking outcomes. I am here to bring some reality into the situation considering many poor girls are lowering their standards and losing self esteem. If I have one more conversation with a girl about how she isn't enough because Mr. "I'm Awesome" said so, then I will do something dramatic. Hence, where my passion begins...guarding self worth in myself and others is where one of my main convictions lies.

If you are a student here you know very well that there are 7 girls to 1 guy. This simply means there are a lot of BIG FISH in our TEENY,TINY POND. It means most girls won't be noticed no matter how hard they try. It means girls who are so incredible are losing self esteem and thinking this is reality. It means guys think they have the right to take a different girl out each weekend so they can choose who is 'right'. It means guys ASSUME girls will want to go on a date with them.It means EGOS ARE TAKING UP ALL OF OUR BREATHING ROOM! (What kind of freak show is this anyway, the bachelor?!)

I am also a little peeved about this "I'm Awesome" syndrome because of something that happened to me personally about a year ago. A guy who I would NEVER even think of dating pulled me aside and had a "serous" talk with me. He looked me in the eyes and said sweetly: "I know you like me, but as a sister in Christ I need to guard your heart and tell you I don't see you that way." Shocked I said this back PLAIN and CLEAR: "Oh ya? Well as a sister in Christ I need to let you know that you are completely delusional because I would never even consider you, pal."

I mean we are talking WACKY situations. I remember thinking: "Was I just rejected without even asking for it?!" Girls are lowering their standards because they are trying to meet some expectations they think will get them noticed at this school. I have long ago given up the idea that any boy will notice me on that campus no matter how hard I try. But you know what? That doesn't mean outside the bubble they don't. That doesn't mean I need to make my standards lower and just say yes to ANYONE. Even I have befallen victim of having a crush on somebody that I look back and say "WHAT IN THE WORLD WAS I THINKING?!" Please, please, please...don't let that be you.

I know there are always exceptions and this is not necessarily the majority, but I see it enough to say something about it. Girls, what some guys at our school think of you does not make you who you are. If no boy notices you then that doesn't mean you aren't beautiful, that just means you might not have to share an undeserving man with three other people. It doesn't mean there is something wrong with you and it DEFINITELY doesn't mean you aren't worth being seen. Because you ARE. And you deserve to have your standards high. (Let's face it, when standards lower you might marry a crazy man and have crazy babies because of it. Yikes.)

Go out of the bubble and you WILL be noticed. And when you are, don't just say yes to any joe blow that comes your way. Be okay with being single until the RIGHT one comes along!!! Do not fear rejection or singleness. Sometimes being rejected is the best thing that ever happened to you! SERIOUSLY! And singleness shows that you are willing to wait and go through the fire for that right boo for you. You are worth more than you know and you have something to offer. Never let any boy who doesn't see that make you feel any different.

This is a very serious matter, because I know we can't truly love anybody until we love ourselves. Let's guard our self worth with everything we have, so we can love deeply like the Lord created us to!

2 comments:

  1. Where was this blog 25+ years ago??? I love you, Abby Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree 100%.
    I remember when I first came to OBU, I noticed all these girls throwing themselves at these new guys and I remember trying to get this one guy to notice me.

    A year later, I realized that being single is AWESOME. You have the freedom to do whatever you want without having a significant other to hold you back.

    I hope girls read this post and realize that it's OK to be single. :)

    ReplyDelete