Tuesday, August 15, 2017

*Beginning Again*

Five years ago I found myself writing about the big changes in my life as I left the classroom as a first grade teacher and looked towards a new future with Brian in a new city. I was really sad to say goodbye to so many places and people I loved but I told myself that I needed to let some things go to make way for the new things that were supposed to happen to my life. I had no idea then, but the future would be more than I could ever of imagined and I have fallen in love with new people and new places and have built a life I wouldn't be able to have if I wasn't able to close one chapter and begin the next. Knowing the possibilities of new beginnings, I feel more excited about them than anything.

Social Media is full of  those adorable first day of school pictures and the feeling of  newness is everywhere. For my sister, she is sending her son off to kindergarten for the first time which has proved to be a really big step and an emotional time. We facetimed this morning and she noted that I am living her life five years ago, with a little baby just learning to walk in the background. She's moving onto the "school" phase of life and I'm still very much in the little stage. It's crazy to think she's moving onto the next step in parenting that I'll be in sooner than I realize.

We are starting a beginning of our own in our house this year, too. Beau is only going to school twice a week but we are starting our new life as a part of a school community. I don't know if it's just because I was a teacher or that my high school was a second home, but I really don't take it lightly. Being a part of the COMMUNITY of a school is what's always been super important to me. I grew up in schools that treated us all like family and the friends and teachers I had there are still a big part of my life to this day. My sister is sending both of her kids to our former school as third generation students which is very special. My parents met in high school there, all of us followed, and now the grandkids are going. That is LEGACY right there. Even though I'm not able to do the same, God has us exactly where we are supposed to be and I'm excited for what the future holds for us and I couldn't be more happy with the school we've chosen for Beau.

If there's anything I've learned it's that each phase has it's pros and cons and the realization that these kids are not always going to be little is both freeing and devastating all at once. It makes me want to focus on all the good that this phase offers and also give myself grace when it's hard because all phases have hardships. Don't let anyone tell you that you should be "ENJOYING EVERY SECOND" of really anything because we are living LIFE..REAL LIFE. No phase of life can we ever be enjoying every second because we will always have trials no matter where we are. But we'll also have so much GOOD, too. In every phase there is so much to cherish and we do need to be reminded to soak it up when it's the right time. Luke spreading poop and ketchup all over my kitchen was not that time, but both boys cuddling with me definitely was. We do need to really cherish the sweet moments that we have because they are fleeting and so special. I won't always have two little boys fighting over my lap and so today I will bask in the fact that my lap is still big enough to (SORT OF) hold them both. Today more than ever I'll appreciate my babies and the time I still have with them to myself. :)










No comments:

Post a Comment