Wednesday, November 28, 2012

*When you know, you know*

Brian's parents are moving out of their house tonight which is so bittersweet. I know it's for the best and that God has a great plan…but it's always hard to say goodbye to a place that holds so many good memories.

I remember the night I knew I was going to marry Brian. Earlier that day he had dropped me off at the airport to go back home which was a dramatic event. It was dramatic because I looked back to wave goodbye and he wasn't there which made me upset. You always need that last goodbye wave to feel better about things, ya know? As I sat waiting at the airport gate, I just knew without a doubt that I could not live without that man. Even if he had waved goodbye, I know it would have been hard..but that lack of wave made me realize I wasn't meant to leave.

Luckily, the weather was really bad and I couldn't make it home that night and he had to come pick me back up from the airport. The moment I saw his truck pull up I got this wave of excitement and the realization that this was the man I was going to marry hit me like a ton of bricks! "You're my soulmate!!!" I said as he hugged me and smiled really big. I began to yell louder:"No really..I'm going to marry you!" He hugged me tighter and said, "I feel the same way!!" We made the best memories that night just watching the Thunder game at his parent's house and basking in the fact that we knew who we would spend forever with.

Usually this would freak a man out, but if you have found the right one for you it won't. Or maybe it's just that I needed a man who doesn't get freaked out easily. Girls who can keep their feelings and thoughts to themselves can marry more skiddish men…but not me. I always say how I feel when I feel it. There's nothing I don't say and I need a brave man for all that. My mouth guard is not the most reliable thing in the world.

Later that week I had a conversation with my mom about Brian and how I knew he was the one for me. "Well, y'all should get married soon, then!" she said. "But you have to date a YEAR first…it's the socially appropriate thing to do!!" I answered arguing back but wanting her to be right. My mom just looked at me and said I was crazy for caring about what's socially appropriate and that waiting another year would be insane if I already knew. "If you know you are going to marry him and you can be pure for a year, then he sure isn't the right man for you in the first place! Better to be married than to let the fire burn too hot!!! An earlier marriage brings purity! Longer dating leads to temptation!" she said back…I think maybe wanting grandkids sooner than later. She knew he was right for me, too. :)

So I went into my room and called Brian right away of course. I didn't even really second guess my decision to make a move that second. As he picked up, I started right in: "So…I want to marry you... SOON! You know…before the end of the year." I'll never forget Brian just answering really frankly and excitedly back: "OKAY!" no questions asked. He said that he just knew from early on that I was the right girl for him so it didn't matter when. I guess when you know, you know. :)

I wish we could have the house a little longer to bask in the memories of what it held…but life keeps moving on and there are many more memories to be made in a new place. 




No comments:

Post a Comment